Tuesday, December 22, 2015

International Premier Tennis League - 18 to 20 December 2015, Singapore Indoor Stadium


I wasn't planning on posting another entry until 2016, but my weekend was so amazing, I couldn't let it pass without writing something!

Not many people are aware that I used to play tennis. My mum arranged lessons for both of us when I was a teenager and we played regularly for a number of years before I started university and didn't have the time or energy.

But I continued to watch matches on TV, even catching Michael Chang and Stefan Edberg at the Indoor Stadium about 20 years ago.

When the IPTL began in 2014, I gave it a miss because the lineup wasn't appealing.

This year, when Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal were included, I still resisted.

But when Roger Federer was confirmed, I bought tickets that very day.

I'm not a sports stats type of person, so I don't keep track of scores and such. But I've been a fan of RF's for more than 5 years. My most vivid memory is from 2010 - I was sitting in my hotel room in Paris, watching the U.S. Open semi-finals live on my laptop ( believe it or not, the TV in the room didn't have the sports channel! ). It was RF vs Djokovic, and the latter eventually won. But I remember being awed by RF's skills on the court, not to mention the charisma he effortlessly exuded and how graciously he handled the loss. A truly unforgettable moment.

Since then, I've followed his career intermittently. I didn't subscribe to cable sports channels so the Internet was very helpful. And I always wondered if I would ever get the chance to see him play for real one day.

2015's been an extraordinary year for me, with many completely unexpected events and bucket list items being checked.

Roger Federer was on my bucket list. And let me tell you, the first time I saw him walk onto the court on day 1 of the Singapore leg of the IPTL tour, for a warm up session during the halfway mark break, my adrenaline level shot through the roof! I was standing at the top of the tiered section eating a slice of pizza - away from my seat and nowhere near the court - and still felt the entire stadium's atmosphere change in that split second. RF emerged unannounced but everyone instantly recognized him, and the roar of excitement that echoed through the vast arena is something I will never forget.

The rest of that evening was surreal. Mum and I returned to our seats, which were located just behind the courtside boxes, and were treated to a spectacular display of aces, smashes, drop shots and slices. RF played 3 sets - mixed then men's doubles, ending with a super-exciting men's singles with world no. 4 and fellow Swiss Stan Wawrinka - and the huge crowd lapped it all up.

It all added up to approximately 80 minutes of court time. And I deeply appreciate RF's generosity! He could've easily refused to play more than 1 or 2 sets, but ended up playing 3 consecutively. And we all love him for it!

I've also become a fan of SW's, after watching him play RF on day 1, followed by 1 set on day 2 and 2 more during the finals. He currently outranks Nadal ( no. 5 ) and famously defeated Djokovic at the recent French Open ( woohoo! ). He's an excellent player, though not in the same league as RF. But I know he clawed his way up the ranks and peaked relatively late in his career ( he's already 30 years old ), so I hope he continues to do well for the next few years.

Other IPTL highlights include faves from my younger years, like Goran Ivanisevic and Marat Safin. Carlos Moya, a former world no. 1 who's now retired, also dazzled in his singles matches. And has anyone noticed he and RF look very similar, down to the wavy dark hair and penchant for bandanas? Just look at these photos and tell me I'm not imagining things.




I realize there're those who sniff at the IPTL's format - strict time limits, power points, single set matches - which can understandably affect the quality of the performances ( definitely more serving faults ). But there was an abundance of phenomenal shots and never a dull moment. I paid a large sum for my seats and it was absolutely worth every cent.

Now, I'm so inspired I've finally started subscribing to sports channels, in preparation for RF's packed schedule in the coming year. I'm too old to take up playing tennis again, but hey, you never know.

Good luck, Roger and Stan! And here's crossing our fingers that both will be back for the 2016 IPTL, together with Djokovic and Nadal! I may purchase courtside seats if THAT happens. :)

No comments: