Friday, December 16, 2016

One More

I didn't think I'd be posting again before the year ended, but these deserve entries!


Gilmore Girls: A Year In The Life


It took me a while to watch this due to access issues ( many thanks to a good pal for the help! ), and I read a number of unflattering reviews before getting my hands on the show, but my fears were totally unfounded - this is a terrific sequel, and all you nasty critics out there: what the hell is wrong with you?

Staying true to the series' timeline, Rory is now 32 and Lorelai's 48. Both go through their own personal turmoils, but the essential ingredients are still there - witty banter delivered at lightning speeds, pop culture references, quirky characters, even quirkier Stars Hollow events, junk food and, of course, lots and lots of coffee.

Covering 4 different seasons, episodes 1 and 2 were fun but lacked oomph. But once episode 3 kicked in ( the one with the crazy Stars Hollow musical ), things really started cooking. And the final installment was everything I hoped it would be - heartwarming, hilarious, poignant - with the last 4 words promising more adventures in the future.

I was hopelessly addicted to the show when it ran from 2000 to 2007, and couldn't be happier that it hasn't lost its magic. I'm even more pleased to learn that it's attracted a cult following, thanks to reruns on Netflix.

What I looked forward to the most was the return of Rory's guys - Dean, Jesse and Logan. However, Dean appeared in only one brief scene, and Jess didn't share any romantic interludes with Rory ( a real pity since I'm Team Jess argh! ). So Logan gets the most screen time, though their relationship is less than ideal ( both already have serious partners ).

But for all its minor flaws, I love this because it just seems to speak to me so directly. The past year has been tumultuous, to say the least, and I definitely share some of the characters' anxieties. Which is why its messages about embracing change, never giving up on one's dreams, and finding happiness when you least expect it, are so comforting.

Please continue this series, and soon!


La La Land


The rave reviews are true. La La Land is absolutely incredible, and a clear frontrunner this awards season.

It's always a good sign when the opening scene makes me smile. That song-and-dance routine on a jammed up L.A. highway is a huge visual treat!

I saw the film at GV Grand Hall 1, which features a gigantic screen and a seating arrangement that makes any movie-watching experience exhilarating. Previous shows I caught at this theatre include Vertical Limit and the 25th anniversary edition of Phantom Of The Opera. My eyes almost popped out of their sockets!

I'm happy to confirm that La La Land lives up to the hype, and had me reaching for the tissue multiple times. Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling are perfectly cast, displaying their talents in full glory as they sing and shimmy through 2 hours of pure heaven.

I'm fans of both actors, especially Gosling, whose career I've followed since his big break in Murder By Numbers. The role of jazz pianist Sebastian is unlike anything he's ever played before, and I really marvel at his abilities, from tickling the ivories to effortlessly floating across the floor during the waltz.

Then I realized that he was once part of the Mickey Mouse Club, together with Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera and Justin Timberlake. His vocal skills aren't as impressive, but he has a rich tone and the songs aren't too challenging.


Director Damien Chazelle, who's only 31 years old, is the one to watch for the next few years. After blowing everyone's minds with the phenomenal Whiplash ( which earned JK Simmons a well-deserved Oscar ), he follows THAT with THIS.

All I can say is, he makes me feel like a giant failure haha. :)

Chazelle's grasp for drama is a wonder to behold. In Whiplash, a young jazz drummer's interactions with his demanding teacher had me chewing my nails.
Here, Mia and Sebastian's various encounters are all vastly different yet equally compelling.



But Chazelle's execution of the film's most breath-taking sequence - where the couple dance among the stars at the planetarium - is genius.
Everything - the music, the colours, the choreography - fit flawlessly. OMG, I get goosebumps just thinking about it. :)

I can't find an exact picture of the waltz itself, so this is the closest I can get. Just go to the theatre - this segment alone is worth the ticket price!

Special mention goes to Justin Hurwitz, who penned the score, and Benj Pasek and Justin Paul, who wrote the lyrics.

One of the final scenes has Mia ( Emma Stone ) singing The Fools Who Dream at an audition. This was the biggest tissue moment for me, and here's a sample of the lyrics:

She told me: a bit of madness is key
To give us new colors to see
Who knows where it will lead us?
And that's why they need us
So bring on the rebels
The ripples from pebbles
The painters, and poets, and plays

And here's to the fools who dream
Crazy as they may seem
Here's to the hearts that break
Here's to the mess we make


There's an arc to the story which I won't spoil for those who haven't seen La La Land yet. It involves a suggestion Sebastian makes, regarding a very difficult task that Mia later completes, though she regrets it severely. It causes a rift in their relationship, but in the end, it's this very task which turns Mia's life around.

That's the message I took home with me, and I will always remember it when times get rough. We all have inner voices that tell us not to do certain things, mostly because we fear change, failure or ridicule. But once in a while, taking that leap of faith alters everything, and you'll wonder why you ever wavered in the first place.

This has happened to me a few times in the past, but I admit that certain aspects of my life are still governed by apprehension, even though they shouldn't be.

Perhaps it's a directive of a divine nature. I've already taken one recent leap, with a very positive outcome. I will strive to do better in the future.

DO NOT MISS LA LA LAND. I expect it to win the Best Picture Oscar come February. :)

5 comments:

winfred said...

interesting one

winfred said...

2016 yes was a year of blessing

Esther said...

I love the very personal touch that you have given the reviews. its true, cowardice has kept us from so much. I too, shall go forth and see what's in store for me. It's only when I fail, that i will either get new ways of getting to my destiny or getting another destination.

pius m said...

Wish you well my you win what your heart desires.

Suzie said...

Used to love watching 'Gilmore Girls'...very interesting it was